Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mixed Blessings



THINGS I DO NOT LOVE ABOUT MY GARDEN:

-Weeding it.
-Poison ivy growing in the green beans.
-Getting poison ivy because of weeding.
-Fear of getting more poison ivy, which causes abandonment of all weeding-related duties.

THINGS I LOVE ABOUT MY GARDEN:

-The way the vegetables feel so heavy and sun-warmed in my hand.
-The purple scent of basil. (I know I should say that basil smells like green, but I think tomatoes smell green. Basil smells purple.)
-The shape of heirloom tomatoes. Round is so over-rated.
-Poison ivy. (It gives me an excuse not to weed.)

4 comments:

  1. P.S. Don't worry. We don't eat the green beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to get a goat. Goats eat poison ivy, and if you drink their milk, you'll get immune to the stuff. (So says dh). But then you'll have no excuse not to weed.

    Your tomatoes are so pretty. I'll have one of those and one of what Olivia is eating below. :)

    Lovely pics. Your new blog is so refreshing. I look forward to reading it every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gardens - I wish I had one!

    I suppose you could wear gloves when you pull weeds and so avoid tangling with Poison Ivy, however there is just something about getting your hands dirty and feeling the soil in your fingers that makes the fruits of you labor all the more delicious when they are ready to enjoy :)

    I agree with Lydia, I look forward to reading your blog each day!

    ReplyDelete