Thursday, August 13, 2009

Week at Grandma's


So you've probably noticed I've been absent for a few days. . . The kids and I went to my parent's house in the country while Aaron worked on refinishing the hard wood floors. (They look awesome!) My grandparents came from Texas for an extended family reunion so we were able to spend time with them too. Here are a few highlights of the trip!

-Watching my grandpa (who has never met Caroline) be silly with my baby and make her giggle. She has a smile for just about anyone, but I think her smile for him had a little extra sugar in it.

-Owen telling me (during a discussion about what the kids want to be when they grow up): "I think God wants me to be a painter . . .Or . . . maybe I can just be God's helper!"

-Have I ever mentioned that my kids love Chinese food? We went to a Chinese buffet, and the kids each ate TWO PLATES full. I felt bad that we only had to pay the kid price for them. Olivia is this skinny Little Bit, but man can she pack it away when she puts her mind to it. Fifteen minutes later, of course: "Mommy, I'm feeling a little pouffy."

-Driving through the Flint Hills. You should see all those shades of green and smoke blue banketing the horizon. And when the sun sets it is magic.

-My dad spent three hours clearing moss off his pond so he could take the kids fishing. Owen ran up to the house a little later, eyes glowing, cheeks pink. "Mommy I caught a fish! And Livia caught one too!" Me:"What kind?" Owen, brows scrunched and serious:  "It was a bass! About . . . a medium?" 

-I noticed how much my mom is like my grandpa. I haven't told her this, because I never really noticed it before, but they are so similar. They both have servant's hearts and love to be behind the scenes. They are both thrifty to the extreme (holey pink towels, anyone?- you know what I'm talking about, mama!) and practical and hard-working. It makes me wonder in what ways I resemble my parents, and in what ways my kids will grow to resemble me. Will they see me loving God, treasuring His Word? 

Nothing like a week with The Fam to beg the question: Are you turning in to your parents? 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hehe. I totally think I am. Just ask Nick sometime. I'm not as distressed (really not distressed at all anymore) by that as I would've been when I first got married. ;)

    ReplyDelete