Wednesday, September 23, 2009

CUPCAKES AND ADDICTIVE SUBSTANCES (conference, pt2)


Pre-conference bonus: The Big Fat Cupcake. The question of the ages: can you buy happiness? Maybe not, but you can certainly eat it.




Conference Highlights:

So many to choose from! But here goes.

- Jenness! (can a person be a highlight?) She had been asked to give the devotional on Saturday morning and she was so nervous. But it was amazing. She was amazing. God is amazing! (Seriously. She made me cry.) Plus, she curled my hair (and Betsy's) for the banquet. And she was willing to try carrying me down the hall. (At least I think that's what we were doing in this pic. It was the last day and we were really tired. I promise, it really was just coffee in the cup.)

-Dinner with my agent and his other clients. He has so much experience in Christian publishing, and such an obvious passion for the gospel that it is completely humbling.

-New friends: shout out to Liz and Andrew. Liz, I'm reading your book now! :) Andrew, the moment when you pitched your book to us at the table and said, "No really, it is a Christian book!" will live as one of the funniest conference moments ever. I expect to be reading your book before long. :)

-Getting fired up to go home and write with some fabulous classes. Susan May Warren and Rachel Hauck are fantastic. Best advice of the week: Try harder. Don't settle for "decent". 


-Lunch with all my friends and a really cool editor. You all know who you are.

-Commiserating, brainstorming, praying, laughing. I got spoiled spending so much time with one of my best friends. I miss you already, Betsy!


Going home: Isn't it funny how the drive home always seems shorter?

I was exhausted, delirious, and a bit overloaded so that always helps. ;)
Need proof? I tried to "reduce redeye" in this picture, but then you could tell that my eyes were completely bloodshot. Apparently, I do need sleep.


The highlight of the trip home would be obvious to anyone who is a parent: picking up my kids. This was the first time Caroline had stayed away from us at night and it was for five days. She did better than I did. But the look on her face when she saw me... it wasn't the big smile I was hoping for. It was better than that. She just stared at me, wide-eyed with the focused intensity she gets when she's chugging a bottle. She couldn't stop looking at me and I couldn't stop looking at her. Then she smiled, slowly and with her whole body.  

That's the kind of memory you keep forever. 



3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! Miss you too....now off to order more cupcakes... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks. :-) You were one of my highlights, too. So good to get to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So one definitely can't buy happiness even in the form of a cupcake! Not with their shipping prices. OY!!!! So depressed. lol

    ReplyDelete