Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I'm back, and I need help


I wish I had some awesome story to tell you about why I haven't blogged in two weeks. Like, I won a radio call-in contest and was on a cruise in the Caribbean. Or I was kidnapped and forced to watch all six seasons of Lost before they let me come home.

But no, it was a self-imposed blogging/writing/reading fast. Here's how I spent my time instead: carpentry work (I promised my husband we'd do it when we got back from conference); cleaning, sorting and organizing for our upcoming party weekend (more on that later); dispensing medicine for sick kids (Olivia got the flu); and okay, I'll admit, I wasted a few hours watching shows on Hulu, but we were really tired from all our remodeling, so I think we deserved it. 

We're working to get stuff done on our house because of a few "flexible" deadlines from the bank. Plus, we're having tons of family in town to celebrate Caroline and Olivia's birthdays, and we want to impress them.  :) It shouldn't be hard--they've seen this place without walls. 

So, anyway, the party. It's going to be awesome, just ask my kids. They thought up the theme, which is mythological creatures. Yes, you read that right. My baby is turning one year old and we're going to dress her as a garden gnome. hehe Owen is going to be a cyclops. Olivia's a Leprachaun. I think Aaron is going to be Zeus? But here's where you come in, dear friends. I have no idea what I should be. Somebody suggested a flower fairy, but how boring is that? They all get to be really cool things. (Insert whining.) Olivia suggested a Werewolf, but I don't think I could get the facial hair right on such short notice. Plus, aren't they bad guys? I don't want to be a villain at my daughter's first birthday party (unless it's a really, really ultra-cool villain.) So guys, what do you think I should be? Tell me quick, the party's in four days and I still have to make the Toadstool cake.

5 comments:

  1. A twilight vampire? lol. Would an alien count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A modest mermaid? Or an elf a la Arwen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, an alien.. I didn't think of that! LOTS of possibilities there.

    Hi Rachel! It's funny you mention a "modest" mermaid, because that was another of Olivia's suggestions. We both decided I'd rather stick to creatures that wear entire shirts! LOL

    And could definitely do some research on Arwen! Who wouldn't want to be Liv Tyler?

    Thanks for your ideas, guys! I'll see what the kids think... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun - Ashlyn's 3rd grade class is reading a Greek Mythology book right now and they had to come up with Mythical Creatures of their own last week. If Aaron is going as Zeus, I think you would make an awesome Aphrodite :) Can't wait to see pics of all the costumes when you're done...so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! In keeping with Zeus and the pantheon of Greek gods and goddesses, I can see you as Demeter--goddess of the harvest, fertility and marriage. . . . Ears of wheat braided in your beautiful hair, sunny glitter sparkling on your face, flowing green dress . . . The torch, well you'll have to figure how to work that one in. :)

    ReplyDelete